82nd annual convention in Cincinnati, Ohio
- George Yen, DTM, became the first International President from Taiwan.
- Introvert expert Susan Cain was the 2013 Golden Gavel recipient.
- Presiyan Vasilev made history as the first Bulgarian native to win the World Championship of Public Speaking® with his speech, “Changed By a Tire.”
72nd annual convention in Atlanta, Georgia
- Debbie Fields Rose, founder of Mrs. Fields Cookies, was the Golden Gavel recipient for 2003.
- Ted Corcoran, DTM, was installed as the new International President—the first from Ireland.
- A ventriloquist entertained attendees during a Toastmasters toga party.
62nd annual convention in Toronto, Canada
- Otis Williams Jr. won first place in the World Championship. (Pictured receiving trophy from International President Neil Wilkinson, DTM.)
- Members dressed up for themed events, including the Planet Toastmasters costume party.
- Speeches from convention were made available for purchase on audio and video cassette.
52nd annual convention in San Diego, California
- Roy Fenstermaker, 70 years old at the time, won the 1983 World Championship with his speech, “Retirement—Never!”
- Members took an excursion to San Diego theme park Sea World to see a show with Shamu the Killer Whale.
32nd annual convention in St. Louis, Missouri
- Toastmasters founder Dr. Ralph C. Smedley was one of the main convention speakers.
- Over 800 Toastmasters and their families cruised down the river on the S.S. Admiral.
- The Gemini and Mercury space vehicles were placed in the hotel lobby as a tribute to four Toastmasters astronauts.
Shannon Dewey is digital strategy and engagement editor for the Toastmaster magazine. Reach her at email@example.com.